Red beans and rice with sausage recipe
This creamy, one dish dinner is nutritious and
- 12 oz ground sausage We use mild Italian or sage sausage
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 28 oz can. Can substitute crushed tomato
- 1/2 onion Chopped
- 2 cans red beans 15 oz cans. Rinse the beans for less sugar, or don't rinse them for a creamier dish. We usually rinse one and not the other
- 1/2 cup rice Cooked according to package directions or added to dish with water.
In pot over medium heat, brown the sausage and onion and drain.
Return sausage to pot and add beans and tomato.
If cooking with rice, add the dry rice and water (per package directions). Cover and simmer until rice is cooked through.
If serving over rice, simmer over low heat while rice cooks.
Nutrition information provided for guidance only. Actual calories will vary by brand of product used.
- If you want a "saucier" dish, add 1/2 cup of stock (chicken, beef or vegetable) while the dish simmers.
- Serve with cheddar cheese or sour cream if desired.
- Reheats great!