When we serve tangy or spicy dishes, coconut rice often replaces bread or potatoes as a side dish. This is a smooth, slightly sweet, side dish — but still savory. Surprisingly, it doesn’t taste much like coconut. The coconut milk simply makes it creamy.
Make extra for leftovers! We love Asian rice and eggs. Warm up a 1/2 cup of leftover coconut rice and top it with an egg cooked over easy and a drizzle of soy sauce for a tasty breakfast.
Creamy Coconut Rice
- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk (13.6 oz cans)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups jasmine rice (or other rice)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp sugar (can be omitted)
- Dump all ingredients into a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a low simmer, then turn the temperature down to low.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- NOTE: Stir this rice a couple of times during cooking so the coconut milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
- TIP: Serve with a sprinkle of lime zest over the top to make it pretty. The lime tastes great, too.
Pin this recipe to your side dish and Asian recipe boards
We enjoy this rice with a lot of Asian dishes, and as a side dish with Rob’s famous Asian Turkey Burgers and mango salsa.