When things get crazy at home and we need a quick, tasty dinner, this red beans and rice with sausage recipe tops the list. I usually make red beans and rice with Italian sausage, but you can modify the flavor profile by using different types of sausage.
Try red beans and rice with smoked sausage — like we used to eat in the midwest. Or try red beans and rice with andouille sausage for a taste of Cajun.
This red beans and rice with sausage recipe is a family favorite!
Our red beans and rice with sausage recipe takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. I make the rice separately, but you can dump it in with the rest of the ingredients to cook for a super easy one dish dinner.
Red beans and rice with sausage recipe
- 12 oz ground sausage We use mild Italian or sage sausage
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 28 oz can. Can substitute crushed tomato
- 1/2 onion Chopped
- 2 cans red beans 15 oz cans. Rinse the beans for less sugar, or don't rinse them for a creamier dish. We usually rinse one and not the other
- 1/2 cup rice Cooked according to package directions or added to dish with water.
- In pot over medium heat, brown the sausage and onion and drain.
- Return sausage to pot and add beans and tomato.
- If cooking with rice, add the dry rice and water (per package directions). Cover and simmer until rice is cooked through.
- If serving over rice, simmer over low heat while rice cooks.
- If you want a “saucier” dish, add 1/2 cup of stock (chicken, beef or vegetable) while the dish simmers.
- Serve with cheddar cheese or sour cream if desired.
- Reheats great!
You might also like:
Looking for more tasty recipes? You might like:
- Our easy Olive Garden sausage soup recipe
- Ham and egg cups — for breakfast or dinner
- Quick and easy pineapple coconut cake recipe
Pin it for later
For a quick, homecooked meal, this one is hard to beat. Add it to your recipe boards on Pinterest so you can find it when you need it.
And when you make this dish, please rate it! If you love it (we think you will), share with friends! Home cooked can be quick, tasty and easy! Enjoy!